The subject of many video reviews recently, our highly-rated HOWA MINI 1500 Accublock CF™ Hunter Stock is a classically-styled Ultra Carbon hand laminated sporting riflestock. In fact, Ron Spomer recently declared it his "new favorite rifle" on his popular outdoor show. He has used it on critters as big as elk to date.
Weighing in at just over a pound (17 oz) it is the lightest, handiest classic for the demanding Howa rifleman.
Weight 475 g (17 oz.)
Recoil Reduction via SVL Limbsaver pad
Stocky's take: When LSI asked us to develop a carbon lay-up stock for the excellent 1500 Mini action we were definitely up to the challenge. But the one thing we did not want to do is take an existing model designed for the full-size 1500 and simply inlet for the Mini receiver. We wanted a stock scaled perfectly for the use.
We also wanted it to contain our patented Howa Accublock™ CF structure to obtain the finest accuracy that the 1500 is known for. With it we have shot many 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards on out to the limits of the cartridge it is chambered in.
I started with our existing Howa Hunter model and started trimming it down from the tang forward to precisely fit the outline of the narrowed barreled action, but did not touch the butt or grip section section so an adult shooter could pick it up and feel right at home. We also eliminated the ejection port cut in the receiver area for added strength, and used a special layup so it would be extra strong for the .308 - class cartridges they were planning to ultimately chamber in the longer SuperLite™ action. With it we were able to achieve a <4.5 lb factory rifle in .308 Win / 6.5 CM.
Recoil wise, many people remark how little felt recoil actually makes it back to the shoulder. This is due to two factors - first and foremost the Simms Vibration Laboratory Limbsaver® pad design. We use this pad on literally every sporter we offer for rifles up to and including the ultramags and PRC's. At first glance a customer, even a profesional shooter, will remark they would normally prefer a 1" pad over this 5/8" pad. Then they shoot it and to a person comment that this stock actually seems to recoil less than the competitions'.
The other reason apparent recoil is lessened is the straight design of the stock itself, of course. Additionally, our proprietary composites, although very rigid, dampen rather than transmit a significant amount of the recoil impulse. (Feeling is believing.)
Bottom line is, if you want to upgrade your existing 1500 Mini, this or the sister Vertical Grip Mini is the way to go. If you don't have a receiver yet, check out your nearest Howa store and grab the factory model of choice. Like Ron Spomer, I bet it will be your new favorite rifle.
1) Patented Carbon Fiber Composite Accublock® permanently bonded to external shell.
2) CNC milled internal teeth cam into radius of recoil lug to keep the barreled action concentric.
3) Rear pillar of Accublock® eliminates compression, tapered walls keep tang in concentricity.
4) Carbon Fiber Composite Accublock® reinforced receiver walls add even more rigidity.
5) Uniquely specific layers of carbon fiber cloth are precisely placed by hand for longitudinal,
latitudinal and torsional rigidity, durability and accuracy. Solvent proof epoxy resin baked-in.
6) Entire forend hand-filled with our proprietary syntactic mixture for lightweight rigidity.
7) Precisely CNC free-floated barrel from receiver face to forend tip for reliable accuracy.
8) Super-strong, ergonomic grip handles the recoil and keeps you in control under stress.
9) Waterproof, closed-cell foam in the butt section deadens sound for quiet stalking.
10) SVL LIMBSAVER® buttpad reduces felt recoil for increased comfort and fast follow-ups.